Sacrifices of Being an Entrepreneur

One of the best pieces I have read (source: http://yourstory.com/2016/02/entrepreneur-sorry) on how startup guys get labelled as insensitive, self-centered by family and friends and how they try that extra bit to make up but at most times are not able to.



'Yes, I am an entrepreneur and I have missed weddings of distant relatives and sometimes close ones as well.

Yes, I am an entrepreneur and I have not attended birthday parties of college buddies and of their children.

Yes, I am an entrepreneur and I have cancelled movie plans and outdoor trips with family and friends.

Yes, I am an entrepreneur and I have not given time for relationships with the girls I was with in the past.

Yes, I am an entrepreneur and I have been wearing the same formal jacket to all the conferences over all these years.

Yes, I am an entrepreneur and I never contributed to discussions on new mobile phones and their features.

Yes, I am an entrepreneur and I have failed, in so many instances, my relatives, friends and family.

Today, I want to apologise for every failure and mistake, but before I do that I want to ask –

As an entrepreneur, did I miss the funeral of any relative, no matter close or distant?

As an entrepreneur, was I not there when my friend had a break-up with his childhood lover?

As an entrepreneur, was I not there to listen to your dreams and discuss the challenges you would face in the race for fulfilling them?

As an entrepreneur, didn’t I hear about your fights with your family and loved ones?

As an entrepreneur, didn’t I answer your calls or reply to your messages when you were feeling lonely?

With most of you I never shared the moments when I had two or three rupees in my pocket. I did not share when I was feeling so lonely that I needed a friend to cry with. I did not share the desire to hug you when you shook hands because you became too formal as I could not join you at your last birthday party or at your wedding.

Yes, some of you labelled me ‘workaholic’ or ‘insensitive,’ but my dear friend, relative and family member, the only way I knew was to go about establishing my startup, so that in future I am there for all those things I was not part of in the past.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about this post?